Friday, November 16, 2007

Should Catholic Bishops speak on politics?

Of course.

From the Boston Globe:

Cardinal Sean P. O'Malley of Boston, saying the Democratic Party has been persistently hostile to opponents of abortion rights, asserted yesterday that the support of many Catholics for Democratic candidates "borders on scandal."

In his sharpest comments about the political landscape since he was installed as archbishop of Boston four years ago, O'Malley made clear that, despite his differences with the Republican Party over immigration policy, capital punishment, economic issues, and the war in Iraq, he views abortion as the most important moral issue facing policymakers.
"I think the Democratic Party, which has been in many parts of the country traditionally the party which Catholics have supported, has been extremely insensitive to the church's position, on the gospel of life in particular, and on other moral issues," O'Malley said.

Acknowledging that Catholic voters in Massachusetts generally support Democratic candidates who are in favor of abortion rights, O'Malley said, "I think that, at times, it borders on scandal as far as I'm concerned.""However, when I challenge people about this, they say, 'Well, bishop, we're not supporting [abortion rights],' " he said. "I think there's a need for people to very actively dissociate themselves from those unacceptable positions, and I think if they did that, then the party would have to change."


Look, it is a Pope/Bishop/Priest's job to inform those in the faith on moral matters. Even if they are political in nature as well. Abortion was a mortal sin long before it became the law of this land.

The same people who complain that the Catholic Church should stay out of politics are the same ones who accuse the Church of not speaking out enough against Hitler and the Nazis.

You cannot have it both ways. Everything Bishop O'Malley says is true and right. You don't have to listen if you don't wish to. That is freedom.

But this is my faith. I can no more separate my faith from my ideals and standards than I can separate my hand from my arm. My faith is a large part of who I am.

The Church is there to lead us on faith and morals. Sometimes that involves politics. Many issues have gray areas. But not abortion. It's wrong. It's evil. And it is good and right that O'Malley should say so.

via Hugh Hewitt